Saturday, August 6, 2011

Welcome Ubuntu Canteen to Yellow Springs





There was a small, quiet post on A Yellow Springs Blog last week that didn’t get much attention unless you’re a major foodie like me.

Here’s the post again:

"Ubuntu" is an inspiring concept in many cultures of Southern Africa and emphasizes the spirit of sharing and honoring our connectedness.

In honor of our mutual humanness, I'll provide a fun, colorful, healthful, veggie-and-grain rich dinner to anyone who would like one :).

I will have one extra dinner (to feed 2-5 people) on each MWF. Pick-up and in-town delivery possible approx. 5- 5:30 p.m.

E-mail Ubuntu.Canteen@gmail.com (if you do not have e-mail, leave a brief message on 767-1611 to specify food restrictions and arrange.

(There is no fee.)

Well, I did respond and am very glad I did. What a unique treat this is! I’m including a photo of the luscious food that was prepared Wednesday evening by the Ubuntu Canteen chef. My partner, Tom, and I invited our friend Maxine over in the spirit of Ubuntu. Tom and I popped over to the chef’s house beforehand (she is conveniently located in town) and picked up the meal and brought it back to our house to eat.

The menu that night was:

Curried Eggplant, Potatoes, Tofu & Beans; Turmeric Fruit & Nut Rice; Cucumbers in Jalapeno Yogurt.

This reminded me of a restaurant I went to on a vacation a long time ago. I wish I could remember the name and the state! The staff decided on one particular menu for each evening and that’s all they served that evening. The menu changed daily. They wrote what was on the menu on a chalkboard outside the restaurant so you could drive by during the day and see if it was something you were interested in. I remember how different that was from my typical restaurant experience and what a treat it was to not have to make any decisions and just relax and enjoy whatever the staff wanted to prepare that night.

Yellow Springs News staffer Lauren Heaton has written a nice review of Ubuntu Canteen. Read her review here.