Sunday, September 12, 2010

A peaceful demonstration







On Saturday, following the weekly Yellow Springs Peace Vigil (corner of Xenia and Limestone, noon-1 p.m.), peace activist, YS Senior Center Board secretary, and my personal role model Mary M. Morgan celebrated her 85th birthday surrounded by her “family.”

“I don’t have much family,” Mary told the 20-plus friends and fellow activists who had gathered for the celebration. “I have nieces and a nephew who consider me ‘that crazy aunt in the attic.’ I’m not ‘that crazy aunt in the attic.’ I’m that crazy aunt that lives in Yellow Springs!” She went on to express her gratitude for the group’s friendship and for being her family.

“If you folks hadn’t come,” she said, genuinely surprised at the number of people who showed up, “it would have just been me and a cake.”

Afterwards, participants ate sandwiches and cake and sang anti-war songs.

In her characteristically playful yet resourceful way, Mary wore a t-shirt she refashioned from her 70th birthday that read: “It took me 85 years to look this good!”

photos by Susan Gartner -- Sept. 11, 2010
posted to A Yellow Springs Blog -- Sept. 12, 2010